Is it just me or has the end of 2012 caught anyone else by surprise?
I guess this feeling must be due to the year being really jam-packed all the way up until the very end. So much so, that I feel like I need a few days to just ease into 2013 because I haven’t fully recovered from the flurry of activity that I jumped into straight after exams haha.
Having said that, it’s always good to sit back and reflect on just how much was achieved in these last 12 months. The ones that come to mind (and I’m sure you’d be familiar with them if you’ve been reading this blog recently so please bear with me):
- converted… to Android!
- made SOY chai latte my go-to drink
- became an Instagrammer
- got a new blog domain!
- got a traineeship for 2013 (I start in TWO weeks! Craziness!)
- became a Compassion sponsor mum :)
- finished and graduated from my law degree (still in awe)
- travelled by myself for the first time to SG and HK (the best!)
- started to grow out my hair again :P
- made gingerbread not once but THREE times in two weeks!
…and that’s only off the top of my head :P
It has been a massive year and I’ve been supremely blessed to share it with some amazing people. At least on the foodie blog circuit, it’s been great to graduate from “comment-buddies” to “real-life-friends” with a few folks like Winston, Vien, Daisy and Sophie ;).
As to resolutions, I know one will be to cook more often and bring lunch to work at least 3 out of 5 days (hopefully). I think I’ve definitely been in the kitchen a lot more this year and here are my top three favourites that have made it onto the blog:
So on that note, I’d like to share one final recipe before the year is out. It’s one I think I’ll be cooking a few more times in 2013 because it’s so simple, delicious and a crowd-pleaser!
Chicken with haloumi and honey
Serves 2 (I made this for 3 so just I just added an extra half of these measurements)
- 2 x 200g chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 150 g haloumi, cut into thick eatable slices
- 1 tablespoon shredded lemon zest
- 6 sprigs of lemon thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- rocket, cherry tomatoes and walnut salad, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Place the chicken haloumi, zest and lemon thyme in a ceramic baking dish.
- Combine the oil and honey and pour over.
- Bake for 18-20 mins or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with rocket, cherry tomatoes and walnut salad.
- Next time, I’d probably make sure that the chicken breast fillets were all the same size so that cooked more evenly – had to put a few slices in the microwave to just make sure it was cooked completely!
- DH suggested a fig and rocket salad but I could not find fresh figs and any at all the stores I went to so substituted cherry tomatoes instead – still very good!
That’s a wrap, folks! I’m still toying with the idea of taking a break from blogging in January – there’s just a lot of things to do to get real-life in order at the moment. While not posting for a while, I’ll try to build up some new content ready to go when I do come around these parts again. For now, take care and HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE!!
Random Question: What are your new year’s resolutions for 2013?