Long weekends are such a blessing. No need to rush around. Time to share with friends and time to bake :).
I was planning to bake a cake to bring to a gathering with the old high school crew but by the time I had it in the oven, it was already time to go :(. No huge issues though when you have some Honey Joys ready to go haha ;).
Anyhow, I left some instructions for my dear mother and when I returned home, the cake had come out beautifully :). Great team effort!
Apple & Blueberry Cake
adapted from Donna Hay’s Fast, Fresh, Simple
(underlined parts are the changes – not many really)
- 1 ½ cups (225g) self-raising flour, sifted
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 125g butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 160C (325F).
- Place flour, sugar, butter, vanilla, eggs and milk in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased 19cm springform tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Top with the apples and the blueberries.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top and then allow to cool. Serve it up!
Was very yummy and so very simple!
I know I’ll be having a slice tomorrow when I get going with the Three 4 Three Challenge ;). Would love it if you’d join in but if it’s a bit too challenging right now, if you are able to give a donation to this dream of mine that would be amazing!
Have a great Queen’s Birthday day off for those working folks ;).
Question time: What do you like to do when you have a day off?